Friday 5 December 2014

Planning For Personal Project (Appearance)



 Within the 40's and 50's era, big curls were the fashion statement. Cindy Sherman uses the idea of a curly, big hairstyle. In my photography I'm going to style my sisters hair similar to this kind of hair style. The main look which is used within these two images are 'pin-ups' which are curly hair thats had a section of it pinned up. However, because my sisters hair is too long for the curls to stay, I'm going to have to use extra products and turn the temperature on my curlers on her hair (maybe holding the hair onto the curlers for longer may work?)

The hairspray I'm going to use is L'oreal long lasting spray. This is to ensure the hair stays in place for a long time. Also within form the 40s- 50s research has informed me that hairspray was massively used to keep the hair in place and looking defined.













To section the hair I must use a tail comb, this is so the section of the hair is accurate and theres a straight line. Also it;s to make sure that each section of hair is equal. Whereas the comb part is used to brush out the curls. This is so the curls look quite bushy rather than tight, thin curls.
I want the hair to look like this rather than the bottom picture. As you can see, the hair has a constant wave on it which allows the texture in the photograph. The second picture is more modern curls, where the curls haven't been brushed out.


However, because the heat off the curling iron burns my hair, I protect it with Loreal Elnett Satin protector to ensure a smooth finished feel, without dead hair.


 As you can see, the face chart below is from a 50's inspired look. This is the kind of look I wish to create. I have also placed two tutorials for the eye and lip make up. On the eye it uses quite a nude eye shadow lighter than the actual skin tone and on the lip of the eye theres a more bronzier shadow. This is to create a shadow, in the 50's women used to adore this look- it really brought out the eyeliner lining the eye! You notice that the tutorial uses a fine brush, probably a 0.2 paint brush to define the eyeliner across the eye. This is to receive a defined line.
Also the beauty spot above the lip or below the eye was a main essential in the 50's.

No comments:

Post a Comment